Friday, January 29, 2010

Daily Interactions - Misinterpretation

(Part 1 of the Many)

I have this usual thoughts in mind that the major I have is one of those misinterpreted college degrees. I laugh at those people giving out these attached – labels, usually associated with radical actions, to students of Political Science.

I remember one of my relatives (prior to college entrance) lambasting me with her words saying, “Why should you not take up Nursing?” I don't bother to answer, it's my choice, good thing my parents have been very supportive to me though I can see they don't like me to take up this major. You know how chaotic the Philippines' politics is. PolSci students are associated with rallies and activism, so on.

All they know is you have to take up this major as a preparatory for a higher degree – Law. In some instance this could be true, but there are more good things other than this (I just don't know if everybody sees it the why I do). Maybe it is just a typical res gestae of a human beings to always giving his opinions without looking into the veracity of the facts that will support his opinion (Which I hate the most. Even columnists are committing this heinous crime). I suggest they should have looked into the copies of the curriculum before they gave their opinions. However, I did see friends who quitted from the program because they said, “they are disappointed seeing the political scenario of the country – Philippines.” I am thinking, they really are not into the profession so to speak.

To formally start the arguments, Political Science is not all about studying the defects of the governments, the politicians' lifestyle and all. Politics in a broader sense is not about running and eventually, winning in the elections. It is the day to day interaction between and among people living in the same environment as an organized individuals forming a civil community. It is understanding the behavior of all actors in the civil society. It deals more on the Philosophy of co-existence of all living individuals. Yes, we are radical, but not the way you define the word per se. It's a matter of definition (according to one of my professors). We are radical because we want to extract the ideas why we are having this way of living, the practices that we have and their justifications. Have we ever imagine how stupid we are following these ways without knowing their origins? And if you happen to ask yourself, you don't know where to find the answer (what would they say? Have faith?) We want to extract the very reason of existence applying it in ourselves to become better citizens of this world.

Definitely, it's not all about corruption in the government, it is more on the reconstruction of the government (note: Government is not the same as the “Administration”). It's all about people's participation in the maintenance of order.

And it so happened that my family sustained my craft in this field (and they want me to finish the law degree), of course with reservations which I don't literally give attention. The point here is, we give a talk not because we want to, but because we have something to talk about (with substance).
To be continued when my blood boils up again...See yah!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wah cool..now im thinking, why did i take nursing..lols...?

nice work, this is really some thing to think of...politics is so interesting...
and your right its not about the coruption in the government, its about reconstruction...lols, we want change...grr

ReymundBF said...

It's not the "politics" (as defined by common man) that is interesting. It's the man's character which is more interesting. it will lead you to know why these kinds of people exist. It will also provoke you not to constantly attach yourself with the usual life perspective. :-)

tinay said...

i like this post. because i share the same belief about being a polsci major, myself :) i'll never be a lawyer but politics (and not politicking) will always interest, fascinate and masturbate my mind :D

Today's Youth said...

Thanks Nang Tinay :)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Powerade Coupons